Instructions for cleaning dentures/partials:
- Daily Maintenance: DO NOT brush your full or partial dentures with toothpaste as it will scratch your appliance. Use an antibacterial dish soap (Dawn is recommended) and a denture brush or a soft toothbrush to clean the appliance. Be sure to clean your appliance after each meal as well as brush and rinse your mouth.
- Nighttime Care: Use a Polydent or Efferdent cleaning tablet at night 1 time a week and let the appliance soak overnight, then scrub with soap and brush in the morning. You can adjust the frequency of soaking to your needs. If you dry your appliance and see any yellowish/whitish buildup, it’s time to soak!
Taking Appliance In And Out Of Mouth:
Using only your fingernails or tips of your fingers, pull straight down on the clasps of the appliance to remove. Likewise, use your fingers to secure your appliance in place when inserting it into your mouth.
NEVER bite your appliance into place as this causes unnecessary force on the clasps and teeth that can cause them to bend or break.
Keeping Your Mouth Healthy While Maintaining And Wearing An Appliance:
Keep your appliance out for at least 2 hours per day to keep your mouth and gums healthy. Keeping your appliance in constantly can cause infections from anaerobic bacteria. You may remove it for 2 hours one time per day or split the time up into short intervals throughout the day.
Products Safe To Use On Your Appliance:
- Dawn dish soap (Recommended)
- Polydent or found at most stores
Adhesives Safe To Use If Needed Are:
- Seabond (If you need to use this product, you probably need a reline from our Hudsonville dentists. This product will not work well with an appliance that is close to fitting properly.
Most appliances may need adjustment for up to 6 months after teeth are removed. Please know this and be patient as we will work with you to make you comfortable and happy during the healing process.
Your mouth will change for up to 6-7 months after making the appliance so know that we will see you on a regular basis for relines in the office and aat the lab. This appointment will be early in the morning and we will KEEP your appliance until 4:30pm that afternoon.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Our Hudsonville, MI, dentists are ready to help you and your family get the quality dental care you deserve. Call Hudsonville Dental today at (616) 209-4024, or contact us online to schedule an appointment.